Sunday, April 01, 2012

Little Thoughts!

We were going to our table beside the window to have a view of the pier. The food smelled good. I wasn’t able to sleep well since couple of days, my mind was thinking of everything and a little space was needed with no talk or conversation to take place. So thought of asking dad to go out for lunch. That’s why we came here. Funny enough I ended up talking to myself inside my head.

As I stood to go to the salad bar, a mother was passing by me holding her little daughter. The girl was about 3 years old spreading her charming smiles to everyone. The moment I saw her smiling started to think “does she know what she’ll be when she grows up? Does she know where would she be when she’s 30? Is she aware of her surroundings?” for no reason those thoughts were crossing my mind. I quickly decided to pick a plate and put some of the Coleslaw salad. Went back to our table.

As I started eating and looking around, I saw that early 40s lady having lunch and feeding her mother in the same time who happens to be on a wheel chair.

How ironic, to see early stages of life of a mother with her 3 years old daughter and in the same time I see another lady who’s feeding her mother and was earlier pushing her wheel chair.

At the beginning they pamper us, feed us, and take us everywhere, and then later in life we’re the one who take care of them and ensure that they’re safe and sound.
The lady was so passionate towards her mother, ensuring to feed her before eating her own bite.

I took a mental snap shot of how they looked and kept it in my mind and started thinking about it. How does the mother feel? The mother who is in the wheel chair?

Does she feel broken that someone else is feeding her? Or is she the one who asked for it? Is she aware that there’s a high possibility that she’ll always be dependant and in need to someone else to help her in life’s simplest actions like eating?

Looking at her made me think of all the words of one’s reasons to survive like pride, dignity, poise, and self esteem. Or is it that people start to ask for less with age and when they realize that they are in need to others? Do we all in one stage or another realize that one day we will be broken and in need for someone else to help us with simplest actions to survive? Is it just me or is someone else out there thinks that it’s not easy to feel that dependence thing?

Screw coleslaw. I don’t feel like eating it anymore. Those thoughts are depressing. Realistic. Direct. Inevitable.

Immediately left the restaurant and went to the sea. Realized how small I am in front of that giant water surface trying to diminish those thoughts I was thinking of minutes ago.

Trying to erase the images of the child and the old mother on the wheel chair from my head. But guess I was wrong as they’re still here as I’m typing these words.

No comments: